Ponderize, Week 3

Ponderize, Week 4: "The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life." Job 3:4

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Double Whammy

Parker has successfully learned how to climb in and out of his crib.  Climbing in is pure comedy- he literally goes end over end- hopefully someday I'll be able to catch it on video.  Any parent will immediately understand the unpleasant ramifications of this new skill.  First, sleeping is compromised.  If the kid doesn't have to stay in his crib when it's naptime, then why would he?  Playing is so much more fun than sleeping.  Yesterday at naptime Parker was out of that crib faster than I could let myself out of his room.  I bought myself some time by putting a nightstand in front of the door, but that merely delayed him a few minutes.  Finally, I ended up locking myself in my room and watched an episode of Dr. Who with my earphones to block out the crying.  An hour later I opened the door to find Parker curled up in a ball, asleep, just outside my door.  If there is any silver lining, it's that I've been dragging my feet about putting Parker in a toddler bed (which he really needs- at 28 months he's way too big for his Pack N' Play) because I didn't want to deal with him getting out of bed, which is no longer a novel issue.

The second reason this is so difficult is because the Pack N' Play has also acted as Parker's spot for timeout.  I loved this because I could put him in there, walk away and even give myself a personal timeout.  He had time to cool off and then I felt like we both were better able to communicate after I went and got him.  Parker doesn't go in timeout often, but when he does it's for good reason- like hitting, running out in the street, or throwing food.  He'll have weeks where he doesn't have timeout at all, but then there are those magical days when it seems like he ends up there at least every hour.  Yesterday he was there for throwing his fork in a fit of rage, and it didn't take him long to figure out that he could get himself out of timeout quite easily.  From there he purposely did naughty things to be put in timeout.  Literally, he would hit me and then excitedly say, "Time out?!!!"  I tried putting him on a timeout chair, which seems to be the best option at the moment, but I didn't like having to stand guard over him as he slid off the chair as soon as he was set on it.  Usually after timeout we have a little chat and he always gets a hug and kiss at the end of it.  Let me tell you, I was not in the mood for any affection after forcing him to stay on that chair. 

I know we'll figure this out and it makes me chuckle a little bit to think that this is only a very small example of what parenting is all about- being creative and adapting to new situations before you feel you're ready to. 

2 comments:

Cathryn said...

I'm sorry! The best time out for us is when I go in my room and shut the door (she hates when I leave her), or when I put her in my closet (with the light on). He sounds like he is full of mischief.

Lisa and Mark said...

Atticus starting climbing out of his pack n play and I stuck him in a crib and he can't climb out! Or a crib tent is an awesome thing for kids who are too immature for a toddler bed. I'm all about putting off the toddler bed! :)