And I'll give you a hint... It's not me.
Paul almost always gets up with Parker (for which I'm sure he will be rewarded countless blessings in Heaven), but a few weeks ago Paul was feeling under the weather, so I dragged my lazy bones out of bed to attend to our screaming child. When Paul gets Parker in the morning, I usually hear Parker say "hello!" or "hi!" or "door." Expecting the same warm welcome, I was rather disgruntled when Parker saw me and cried, "Nooooooooo!" and then threw himself back onto his mattress. It has played out the same way every other time in the last two weeks that I've woken up with him.
Sadly, it doesn't stop there.
Parker knows that he has to hold a hand when we're in a parking lot. If ever the three of us are together it goes a little like this:
Me: "Parker, hold my finger."
Parker: "Noooooooo!"
Me: "Ok, then hold Daddy's finger."
Parker: Squeals in delight and runs to hold Paul's finger.
Also... I usually get out of the car before Paul and when Parker sees me through the back window he (assuming that I'm about to get him out of his carseat) screams "Noooooooo!" Suddenly he's happy as a clam when Paul opens up the back door and proceeds to unstrap the restraints.
Two nights ago I came into the living room holding Parker's pajamas and a diaper and said, "Ok, Parker let's get ready for nigh-nigh," Parker said... well, I'll let you guess what happened next.
Sometimes when he acts like this I'm tempted to be offended. Does he know who carried him in the womb for nine long months? Does he realize what I've sacrificed in order to stay at home and play cars with him and change those stinky diapers? Doesn't he know that I'm actually the cooler parent? (Just kidding about the last one.) But then I remember that his preference for Paul over me actually makes my job easier, not to mention that I think it makes Paul feel special, so I guess it's okay.
4 comments:
I seriously laughed at the part about him throwing himself back into his bed. We miss you guys!
Seriously, don't feel bad about it! I wish it was that way around here. Instead, after daddy gets home after being gone for 12 hours, she scream "No!" and still refuses to leave my side. She's just barely getting better and I love it.
I know what you mean... lately Scarlett's started screaming "dadadaaaaaad" when Jake leaves for work. What am I? Chopped liver? But I guess it's good when you're tired and need a break: "she's asking for you Jake". hee hee
All my kids prefer dad...its inevitable. They can't have him very often so of course they prefer him. I'm the one who does all the boring stuff with them like homework, housework, and grooming/hygeine. John gets to do fun stuff like read to them and play human jungle gym. Being the dad is the more fun job...but being the mom sure means spending a lot more time with your kids.
When Rebekah was born she seemed to smile for everyone except for me. I painstakingly waited for her to flash me her first real grin. I spent most of my time diapering, feeding, and rocking her and the moment I handed her over to John she'd smile at him?!!!
Sure, the dad is the one they go to for a laugh, but Mom is the one who's ALWAYS there.
Post a Comment