Ponderize, Week 3

Ponderize, Week 4: "The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life." Job 3:4

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Swimming Lessons

Parker started swimming lessons a few days ago.  In the past six months or so, Paul and I have brought up the idea of swimming lessons with Parker several times, but we were always met with extreme resistance.  He likes swimming, but is very careful to not get his face wet.  Before Kate was born taking a bath was a chore, but now that they play while they bathe he enjoys it.  I didn't want to force swim lesson; it just seemed like a battle I wasn't quite up for.  Eventually I would have forced it (I think every kid must take swim lessons for safety reasons), but I was hoping that he'd come around by himself.  Anyway, a couple Saturdays ago Paul went surfing and Parker wanted to go.  We told him that he could go surfing once he took swimming lessons and learned how to swim.  That did the trick.  I signed him up as soon as I could before he changed his mind.


I have to admit that on that first day I was a little emotional.  He's growing up and doing things that he didn't think he could do and it just makes this mama so proud.  Good thing it was bright outside and no one saw me getting misty behind my sunglasses.  About halfway through the lesson they threw rings out into the pool and the teacher took each child individually to "dive" for the ring.  She put the ring on her foot and lifted up her foot so they didn't have to go very deep.  When it was Parker's turn I whipped out my phone to capture whether or not he'd actually put his face under the water.  He did it!  Go Parker!


3 comments:

John & Trudy Fjeldsted said...

This is HUGE... Parker really is growing up. It's wonderful to see that he can put is mind to something that he otherwise would really not do and have such a positive experience.

Cathryn said...

Yay for Parker! That's a huge step! Also, yay for mom tears.

Erin said...

I'm so proud of you, Parker! I admire you facing something that's scary in order to achieve a goal (going to the ocean with your dad). Way to go!