Ponderize, Week 3

Ponderize, Week 4: "The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life." Job 3:4

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Bleh! Bleh! Bleh!

Today is a very sad day. As many of you may know, I love to cook and I love to try new recipes. Allrecipes.com has become my new friend this past year. It is a simple website where people can post recipes and others rate those recipes. For the most part, I will only make recipes that have a 4 out of 5 star rating or higher, and at least 30 people have reviewed the recipe. So, naturally, I thought a recipe for chicken tikka masala that scored a 4.5 and 451 people had reviewed it would be a sure winner. I should also mention that along with their ratings, people leave comments about what they would change, things that they particularly loved, etc. Before making the recipe, I should have read this review:

Good grief! This recipe as written has WAY too much salt in it! My fiance and I couldn't even finish it, the salt was overpowering. 7 teaspoons in all. I am going to try it again with about 1/2 teaspoon for each sauce (the marinade and the tomato cream sauce.)

7 teaspoons?! you say? Yes, that's correct. But let me explain. Certainly I would have noticed that there was way too much salt going into this recipe, but Paul and I made the recipe together and didn't realize how much salt the other was using- he made the marinade, and I made the tomato cream sauce. After the first bite I knew something weird was happening inside my mouth- I thought maybe the dish was just spicier than what I'm used to, but then my throat started to burn...
After all that time and preparation, we ended up tossing the whole meal and tried to think of what else we might scrounge up for Sunday dinner. I decided that all I wanted was a piece of zucchini bread that I made yesterday. I made two loaves, but gave 1 1/2 away at church. Paul got me a slice, buttered it, and brought it to me. What a sweetie, right? The first bite tasted strange. I thought maybe my pallet was still moded from the horrible chicken dish, so I took a nice long drink of water before I had my next bite of bread. Hmm... still weird. Then, I was able to put my finger on the weird taste- garlic! Paul had just picked up a knife that was on the counter to spread my butter with. It was the same knife that I had used to cut the garlic for the tikka masala. Gross! And so here I sit, venting to the blog world about my cooking woes- still hungry, but not daring to eat anything else.

5 comments:

Dakin said...

I just emailed you my tried and true chicken tikka masala recipe. I did it for a recipe swap once last year. It's excellent. If at first you don't succeed--try try again. (That's the secret to an awesome cook--good luck!)

The Candlands said...

If you like allrecipe.com just wait until my website {The Organized Chef} is up and running {within the week}! All tried and true with ingredients that you use not ones you can't pronounce!

Kim said...

I also love allrecipes.com...I have found many wonderful recipes there...I loved your story, too funny. It reminds me of the cream puffs my Megan made once. When it called for a teaspoon of salt, she thought it said a cup of salt...needless to say, those cream puffs ended up in the garbage..and they were so pretty! I'm sorry to hear you went hungry:(

Kim said...

This was so funny! I have had so many cooking problems! One time I made a nice dinner, just like you did, and when I finished it was SO gross. So I decided to have macaroni and cheese and for some reason didn't put the strainer in the sink and poured the macaroni right down the drain. Another time, Freshman year at BYU, my friends and I were making a cake for Ashton and when we put it into the oven half the cake spilled out! You will laugh about your dinner soon!

KMF & DSF said...

Oh crap!! I love allrecipes to and one time they failed me as well! Curry, it was not even edible and it called for unique ingredients that I had to make a special trip to the grocery store for! ALL WAISTED! drats~