Paul had been looking for a new job since June. Things at
the offices he was working at just weren't ideal and it felt like the right
time to make a change. After looking and doing working interviews, he got
several offers from offices in the Orange County area. None of them were
full-time, and none of them seemed like quite the right fit.
Fast forward a month or so and Paul gets a
call from his friend (and distant cousin, and USC classmate) Nate. Nate
had been working part-time at two different offices in San Diego and they both
wanted him to go full-time. Nate wanted to know if Paul would be
interested in the offer that he didn't take, and if so, then he'd recommend
Paul for the job. Nate chose one office, and got Paul in touch with the
other office. Okay, so now a little about this office:
The owner of the office Nate was working
at owns/ has owned several offices (around 20ish in the last 20 years).
The owner lives in LA and doesn't actually practice dentistry anymore.
His son works at the office that Nate was working at. The dad is in
the process of purchasing a new office (from a retiring dentist) close to the
one his son works at. The new office is the one that Paul would be
working at and Paul would be the only dentist working there. They
expected to close on the new office in October, but they wanted to have a trial
period of a few months with Paul working twice a week at the office the son
works at, so that both parties could see if the arrangement would be a good
fit.
Paul was still working at the two offices
in Orange County, so he was trying to figure out how to make this all work.
The office in San Diego seemed very promising. It paid well, would
eventually be full time (and no Saturdays!), and seemed like a very normal,
productive, honest office. But it wasn't a sure thing. He'd have to
either cut back days or quit one of the offices he was working at in order to
do the trial period in San Diego. There are more juicy details, but he
had a bit of a fall-out with one of the offices around this same time.
They were asking him to do procedures that were unethical, so he parted
ways with that office. Sad to end his time there in such a way, but it
now cleared up enough days to do the trial period in San Diego.
The more that Paul worked at the San Diego
office, the more he liked it. But the commute was killing both of us.
It was 180 miles round trip, and this isn't 180 in Idaho, people.
This is 180 miles in southern California traffic. Not fun. He
passed the time listening to pod casts, while I lamented being left all day
with a toddler and being hugely pregnant. I knew that our ward would take
care of me if I went into labor while Paul was away, but the idea still made me
nervous. And what other options did we have? He was still working
four days a week in Orange County. And then...
The office in Orange County let him go.
The other dentist he worked with had been talking with a consultant who
had been trying for months to convince her that she should let Paul go- there
just weren't enough patients to support two dentists. And Paul couldn't
argue with that. It was true- there were several days each week when he
would only see a handful of patients. In fact, their lack of business was
one of the reasons why he had started looking for a new job in the first place.
So now there was nothing holding us to
Orange County, but the job in San Diego still wasn't a sure thing. And I
was getting close to popping. And we were both getting nervous about our
financial situation. Although sometimes I think we should be getting paid
to have and take care of a baby, it just doesn't work like that. And
although we'd put money aside for situations like this, only working two days a
week for two months would really be a stretch, especially with a baby on the
way and if we ended up moving (also not a cheap endeavor).
We prayed and asked for prayers on our
behalf and eventually decided to take a leap of faith and move to San Diego.
Paul told the San Diego office what had happened with his other jobs and
they offered to let him work an additional day, which would be a "training/observation"
day. They also had a verbal agreement that, yes, he would be the one
working at their new office.
Now all we had to do was find an
apartment. We furiously scoured Zillow and Craigslist for suitable
options and then spent several days going back and forth between Orange County
and San Diego looking at what we'd found online. We had several
requirements: must have washer/dryer, patio or balcony, walk-in closet or other
space that we could use as baby's room, dishwasher, short commute, and hard
floors in dining area. We quickly learned that what might have appeared
amazing online could be anything but in real life. The apartments that we
were, in fact, interested in, went like hotcakes. We decided that we were
going to have to make some compromises on our "must have" list, or
else increase the amount we were willing to spend. It was pretty
frustrating, and all this time Paul was still commuting and I was still hugely
pregnant.
After spending four full days apartment
hunting in San Diego, Paul turned the reins over to me and told me to just pick
an apartment. There were two places in an area that we hadn't looked at
yet that seemed promising. I'd been trying to get in contact with the
property management company for several days, but without any luck.
Finally, I got a hold of them and the next day I was prepared to go by
myself (Paul had to work) to look at them in person. That morning, the
company called and said that one of them had already been rented. Argh!
Foiled again! I still wanted to see the other place, so I went,
checkbook at the ready in case the apartment was at least semi-decent. It
was, and now we just needed to pass their credit check. By the way, this
was Wednesday, August 21st. The property manager called me that night and
said that we'd passed and the apartment was ours if we wanted it. Paul
hadn't seen the place, but at that point he didn't really care and we decided
that we'd take it.
The next day, Thursday, we started
packing. My Friday was spent packing like a mad woman. Paul worked
on Friday, picked up the keys to our new apartment, and dropped off some of the
boxes that we'd packed on Thursday. He left for work Friday morning
around 6:00am and didn't get home until almost 10:00pm. Saturday morning
we moved. The Elder's Quorum (bless them!) came and helped and so did
Paul's parents (double bless them!). When they found out we were moving,
they jumped in the car and came to our rescue.
John was able to stay the weekend before
flying back for work and Trudy's plan was to stay the week and help us
unpack... More on that tender mercy later...
So, now we're here in San Diego. We
just keep moving closer and closer to Mexico in search of a taqueria that can
rival Los Gallos. In fact, we're about as close to Mexico as you can get
without having to show your passport. I say we live in San Diego, but
really, it's more like Mexico, North.
7 comments:
So exciting! I thought I saw something on facebook about you guys moving! Also, YOU HAD YOUR BABY! Glenn and I just realized that about a week ago. Had I been facebook friends with Paul at the time, I'm sure I would have noticed, but only Glenn is, and somehow he missed it! So congrats, and we can't wait to see pictures!
I've wondered how things are going. Back to San Diego...Aaron grew up very close to the border in the San Ysidro area. I also can't wait to see pictures of that cute baby! And I don't even know her name.
It really is a crazy, amazing story! What a stressful time, but it looks like you're being looked after. I'm glad he has a job he is enjoying and that is supporting your little family.
1. you look great! but you always look great. no lie. i immediately hated you when i saw you in our pre-london class."arg, pretty girl must leave..."
2. congrats!!!
3. YOU LIVE IN SAN DIEGO??!!!! we are moving there in 9 months. but we will be in north county. are you in south county? i must know. i have ZERO friends there. well, heather's twin is in escondido, so there's one. now TWO! woot.
I'm so glad you found a home close to work (well, I'm just assuming it's closer than 90 miles). I can't wait to see pictures of your new place. What a blessing that Paul is liking these guys. Im so proud of you guys for making a tough decision to walk away from that other office and maintain your integrity. That's the kind of dentist I would want.
Wow this was a very exciting adventure! I'm so glad it worked out and you guys found a place..and that Trudy was there! She is a true angel! Good luck with settling in
What a whirlwind adventure and a great show of faith! Way to go.
Post a Comment